Friday, August 13, 2010

Familiar And Not So Familiar Sounds...



Life in Nagoya has begun!  School orientation started, I've started going through my books and lesson planning.  My classroom is new this year so I'm still waiting for the rest of the furniture to come in Tuesday afternoon then I can start setting up my classroom before students come Thursday.  I have to admit having to learn all this new stuff, a new culture and school has made me miss Ghana a lot lately and all the familiarity of it.  But I think I'm really going to enjoy it here and looking over books and stuff I'm getting excited about the change to 4th grade!

As I figure out life here I'm learning a few things:
1.  I hate grocery shopping here cause I can't read anything and don't know what it is or how it is supposed to be prepared, I think I will be eating a lot of rice cause that's easy and I know how to make it.  As time goes on it will be fun to experiment with it all, but right now it's just frustrating.
2. Trash is complicated in Japan!!!  I have a million and one different garbage cans in the corner of my kitchen and each one is for something different there is no just plane old garbage.  You have your plastic, burnables, recycled papers and garments, plastic bottles, glass bottles and cans, I don't even know what else.  Each one has to be taken out on separate days and for example if you have a plastic bottle you have to remove the label and cap and put that in plastic and then the bottle goes somewhere else.  Oh so confusing right now!
3. Unfamiliar Sounds = these crazy bugs that are really loud and all over Japan we discovered throughout our travels.  is that the ice cream man, no it's the garbage man he plays a little tune, it's so misleading, you get your hopes up for ice cream only to find out it's actually just the garbage man

A familiar sounds that I have to say made me a little bit happy this evening...
Tonight we went to a festival at the Nagoya Castle with a bunch of the teachers.  Good times!  There was food, dancing, Japanese drumming, a tour of the interior of the castle, plus a little foot therapy if you can call it that.  They had bins full of little and big fish that people stick there feet into and they fish eat off all the dead skin and is supposed to make your feet smooth, so of course we had to give it a try.  It was quite and interesting experience.  You just feel little ticklish pricking all over your feet and angles and I suppose maybe my feet do feel a little smoother now.  Ok, but back to the familiar sound found at the castle....generators :-)  Were they being used because the power was off, oh no just to run some outside lights but as soon as I heard that oh so familiar noise it brought a smile to my face.  Usually the sound is one you don't want to hear because it means you will be sweating in your house for the next who knows how long, but this time it was that familiar noise that brought me joy inside, finding little pieces of Ghana in Japan has made the transition that much easier!
Nagoya Castle

Soaking our feet in fish!

No comments:


The daily walk to school

The daily walk to school