Monday, September 3, 2007

A Day in Africa!

I've lived in Ghana over a month now which is hard to believe sometimes. At times I feel I have been here forever, and other times it seems like I just arrived. In fact sometimes I even forget I am in a completely different country so far from home, although there are many things that often remind me of this...
  • Currently we have NO running water at our house and haven't for over a week now!
  • The internet is very unreliable and slow
  • The power goes off every four days for 4 hours, plus other unexpected times throughout the week (which is much better than when we first arrived and the power went off every other day for 12 hours)
  • Everyone carries everything on thier heads (from washing machines to refridgerators)
  • You can do a lot of your shopping while sitting in traffic as people rush up to your car and try to sell you something - which is my favorite when they are selling plantain chips (my favorite snack food here =)
  • You can drink and eat ice cream out of plastic bags
  • A tro tro is the cheapest transportation system (similar to our bus system, but you ride in a big dirty van that everyone crams into)
  • The roads are covered in pot holes which makes riding on them no fun for those of us who get motion sick
  • I pass several chickens and baby goats on my walk to school everyday

Just a little glimpse of Africa thus far =)

Although there are many things to adjust to, I'm lovin' it here!

2 comments:

Mariah S said...

I'm so happy you started a blog :-)

Mariah S said...

I miss walking to work and seeing all the animals and kids. But public transit... even better!


The daily walk to school

The daily walk to school